Sunday, January 18, 2009

Locks of Love

http://www.locksoflove.org/
Well, I guess there is an upside to waiting over a year for a haircut. I've had about one hair cut a year in the last six years that I can recall. In 2002, I had my hair cut short and I mean short. It was no more than 1 to 2 inches long depending where you measured it on my head. lol. I really liked it but the hubby wasn't a fan. lol. So I began the process of growing it out. I finally went to Great Clips yesterday and did it, I got it cut. It's not micro short this time but it turns out when I told her I wanted it cut off and different, when she measured how much I wanted off of it, it was over 9 inches I wanted cut and that qualified me to make a donation to locks of love and I got a free hair cut from it to boot.

I so wanted to take a picture of my two little curly pony tails laying there on her counter but I felt silly asking if I could take a pic of my donated hair so I didn't. lol. And there are no pics today because I'm just a tad unhappy with the cut. Not bad, it's just longer on the one side and it's too full on the top and sides yet. I kind of have the look of a football head. lol. So, even though I'm not looking forward to it, I am going back and getting it evened up and ask that they take some more around the crown. I may have to pay for it today but I really can't be lookin' like no football head. lol. So, once I get it where I want it, I'll post new pics alongside the old ones I already have on here. It's drastic difference.

On the sewing scene, that little project I started this week with the intent of a doll quilt in mind has been finished off as a throw pillow for our sofa. It went together so well and was looking good when I noticed one of my triangle squares was a little smaller than the rest in the last row, therefore it threw off the alignment so I couldn't possibly quilt a straight line all the way across it. Drat!!!!!!! Hubby consoled me and told me just to make us a new pillow out of it so I did. It's not even a great pillow. Being the ever-imaginative recycler that I am, I thought I'd stuff it with some old work shirts hubby had ready for the Goodwill. Bad idea. It weighs about ten pounds, and it's not soft. lol. lmao. So, it needs opened back up and re-stuffed with polyfill. Should have used it in the first place but I didn't want to use all I had to stuff this one pillow. Too bad for my luck. lol.

I also went ahead and did some major cleaning in the sewing room yesterday. I didn't finish the room but I made a definate improvement. All of my fabric is sorted by color now and all of my sewing incidentals have their own spot and I can get to the machine and my ironing board now. I rounded up all my scissors and hung them on a hook and I think there are six pairs. lol. But, during the sorting I came across some blocks my sister had started and I found enough to put together what I think will make a nice size sofa throw. Not quite a full sized quilt, yet bigger than a baby quilt too. It will have 6 rows of all "like" color blocks seperated by crisp white sashing and borders. I have a red row, orange/yellow row, green row, tan row, and a light and dark blue row of blocks. It will be a quilt of many colors but I just couldn't let these blocks sit and do nothing with them so this project is born. lol.

Our local Wal-Mart has eliminated the domestic department. Well, the fabric department is gone. They still have yarn and fake flowers and scrapbook stuff. They even eliminated embroidery/cross stitch floss and such. Dorks. Now I have to go to Mansfield if I want new fabric. There are some small, independent quilt fabric shops around here but they are pricey. Anyway, while they still have them, I went ahead and bought three or four packs of needles for my machine. I'm using my last one right now. lol. I got a couple spools of thread and some elastic for fixing hubby's long johns. So, I should be a busy girl today. I have one more row of blocks to put together for the colorful quilt top. Then I have to put the sashes and borders and I'll at least have the top done. I got two pairs of long johns to fix and I have a small bulletin board to trim out and cover for work.

What are you all up to? I'll be around later to read some blogs so I'll be anxious to see what this weekend has brought for everyone. Happy Quilting.

Renee

2 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

Can't wait to see the new hair do. And isn't that a bummer that the Ashland Wal-mart got rid of their fabric? Wooster still has their fabric department, but they said by the end of the year all the fabric will be out of their stores. I went to JoAnn's in Wooster yesterday - major sale. Which helped. Have a great Sunday!
Kris

Renee said...

it really bums me out that they got rid of the fabric. my sister said there is some place in medina that has fabric every day for a dollar a yard. not sure where she meant though. i might mosey up one day and have her take me up there to load up. too bad wal mart is doing this to us. lol.