Tuesday, October 7, 2008

High Hopes

Well, so I haven't gotten any sewing done. I don't like it. But alas, tomorrow is my day off and I plan to sew like a fool. lol. Yeh right. lol. Not sure what I am going to sew yet but I will sew tomorrow.

I went to a coffee shop the other day, thru the drive-thru and ordered a tall coffee. Well I was just getting it to investigate the cup sizes and see if my cozies would fit them or not. Don't you know, they use styrofoam cups too. Not really a need for cozies with styro cups. Well, like a dummy, I have my son ask for a sleeve. Of course they don't have sleeves either. Well, why would they? lol. Oh well. I just wanted one of these elusive sleeves for measurements anyway so I guess I'm off to Starbucks next. Then there are two other small independent owned coffee houses in town as well. I just have to find one that uses paper cups and might not mind having a little basket full of cozies on the counter for sale. lol.

I am itching to try making a quilt block. A real quilt block. Nothing I have made so far has been real extravagant or according to any pattern per say. But looking through all the great quilting blogs here lately I am seeing some lovely quilts made out of the most beautiful blocks and I'm just kinda getting the hankering to try something. Any ideas on a great starter block? Sure would appreciate any tips.

I have two quilts that I am not real happy with and I am thinking of donating them to project Linus. Has anyone ever done this? They are cute and all but just not perfect and maybe I'm too hard on myself but I just don't feel right selling them. Money is so hard to come by these days and it's going to get worse. So I thought I may as well let some little kid get some use out of them.

I wish I had some more stash. I never think I have enough of anything worthy of putting together and making a quilt top of but I wonder if I had all the fabric in the world if I wouldn't still feel that way. lol. I seriously need a little lesson on choosing what colors to put together and which go best with each other for sure.

What makes you all get off your duffs and get busy with your projects? I sure could use some motivation. I need some way to make extra money and sewing is about my only talent to do so with. Aside from motivation I also need help with getting out there and showing my wares. I guess I'm afraid folks will make fun of me mainly. Not everybody appreciates sewing and quilting. And I'm also "awkward". lol. I don't like crowds, I don't like to stand out, and always wish I was at home whenever I'm someplace else. That rules out alot of craft shows and fairs and such. So, that's way I like the online gig at etsy. But it's not proving such a good thing for me right now. I just noticed that I've been a member since July 07 and I still haven't had a sale yet. But there is alot of competition on etsy. And alot of beautiful, skilled work too. Oh, what's a girl to do? lol.

I've been thinking about going to one of our local quilt guild meetings. Maybe I could find a group to be comfortable with that can help me get better at what I love to do and help me build some confidence in my stuff. And ways to get rid of it. lol. We'll see. I make no promises. If hubby can't or won't do something with me, I usually just don't do it. He is my rock and when I'm with him I can go anywhere and do anything but take him away and I'm lost, running for my house til he gets back to me. Told ya all I was "awkward". lol.

I think I'll close for now and go see what I can get into. I might poke around tonight at some stuff and get it ready for sewing tomorrow. There are a few little things I think I can get cut out tonight and have ready to just throw on the machine in the morning. Sounds good, eh? Will it happen? lol. Who knows? lol.

Keep creative friends!!!

Renee

3 comments:

Sara said...

WOW! Long post. Where to start - quilt blocks - something easy! Just go to the library and pick up and book or magazine. They give you step by step instructions and then you can learn and begin making blocks! I haven't ventured out of using a pattern yet so I can understand that part. Colors, that is my favorite part - I love putting the colors together! I seem to have a talent for it. And as for Project Linus. Yes, I have donated. I have one in fact from Project Linus. I just got it this year and have decided that I am going to make 4 a year for them. If you search their site they can tell you the closest drop off or someone you can contact to get the quilts too. www.projectlinus.org. Hope all this helps! By the way, I think we are pretty close to each other (NE Ohio!).

LuAnn said...

Hi Renee...I couldn't email you privately so will post here. I've been busy trying to put some pieced borders on a quilt so haven't been on here much. If I can wait a couple more days to be "tagged" I'd love to play and then tag someone else.
As for quilting, I think a 9 patch block is one of the best blocks to do for a starter quilt. You can put it with snowball blocks or half square triangles and create your own design.
And, I do donate to Project Linus. If you go to their web site www.projectlinus.com you will be able to search by state and find someone (hopefully) that is close to you. Here's one for you. The lady that is our area coordinator works about a mile from our local quilt shop. So I drop off the old to her and go to my LQS and buy a little new. I really try hard for some stash reduction there but.... They will be happy to get your quilts if you want to donate them.
I would also recommend joining a quilt guild. Usually they form little bees that get together and you can learn a lot from watching what others do. I am in a bee that meets (once a month) tomorrow. We all met at a sew-in at a quilt shop, and a lot of used to be strangers. I'll bet your quilts are great. I think sometimes we are way too hard on ourselves. Back to stitching. I'll let you know when I post my "tagged" post.

Renee said...

thanks sara and luann for all the helpful info about quilt block suggestions and the project linus. i'm anxious to see if there is someone around close for drop off on those.

i did start a table runner yesterday that i am headed to hopefully finish up today. i went right by the directions. yeah, i followed a pattern. lol. i'll post some pics later.

we are definately close sara. one 35-40 minute trip up 71 or 42 either one and i'm there. used to pass through all the time when i had an aunt that lived in brunswick. maybe one day we might meet up. that would be fun.

luann, you can join the tag game anytime you like. that's fine by me. i understand being busy trust me. lol.

thanks again and take care,
renee